Improving results without losing engagement
Highly successful funeral services and insurance company DELA had a strong culture of commitment. To each other and to the customers. But while their story was well promoted, they sometimes lacked focus on results. Time for a change in strategy.
DELA’s strategic question was: how can we learn from each other and improve without losing the strength of our current culture of engagement. And that’s where we came in.
We were able to help DELA steer both the strategy and the development of the employees. As a result, the company met strategic goals they considered unlikely years before.
Our approach for change
We did not start from what was missing but from what was very much present at DELA: a culture of involvement and collaboration. Within the safety of the mutual relationship, we started working on openness, feedback and the conversation about ‘hard’ results. A shared vision and bold goal were developed with a large part of the organisation. These have been taken as the guiding principles for steering both the strategy and the development of the employees.
- In order to realise the strategy and to clarify everyone’s role in it, a uniform method of working and steering was established for the entire organisation;
- Internal and external communications are closely linked, which has further increased pride in DELA and achieved results;
- The improvement dialogue has become a central theme at DELA. By making clear agreements in all organisational units and teams, expectations are clear and performance is made transparent;
- To further stimulate employee development, work has also been done on management’s personal development and awareness of their crucial role in DELA’s journey.
“The job satisfaction and pride in DELA has increased enormously.”
What really changed?
By looking at the issue from an integral perspective – business operations, social norms and personal beliefs – we were able to identify the strengths and challenges at DELA. With our broad specialization in the field of management, strategy development and execution, leadership development, personal development and translation into inspiring and effective interventions such as organizing summer schools, we were able to help DELA create learning capacity based on their strengths.
In 2013, an ambitious vision and strategic direction was set for 2020. By 2019, the strategic goals have been met in all areas, which was considered unlikely in 2013:
- On the Human perspective, the goal was to become #1 Great Place to Work. Achieved: 3 times #1 in the Netherlands and 1 time #5 in Europe;
- On the Member Perspective, the goal was to achieve an NPS above 25. Achieved: NPS 60;
- On the Environment perspective, the goal was to achieve a minimum of 70 among non-members 3 times. Achieved: 6 months in a row minimum 70;
- On the Finance perspective, the goal was always profit sharing. Achieved: always profit sharing with business model adaptation.
In addition, employees consider DELA anno 2020 a learning organisation and the credibility of management has improved.